Winter can put a damper on anyone’s exercise routine, and for kids, dreary weather can lead to endless hours cooped up indoors. Sure, a good snowfall provides an exciting opportunity to play in a winter wonderland, but what about the rest of the time, when the sky is gray and the weather is gloomy, cold, and damp? It can be tempting to snuggle up on the couch and watch movies in a marathon, or let the kids spend all their time playing video games, but we all know that’s not the healthiest route for their growing bodies to take. What’s the solution? We have some suggestions for fun, active indoor play.
• Play with balloons. Throwing a ball in the house is a bad idea, but balloons can offer indoor fun, whether you’re batting them around or playing a more competitive game. Have a contest to see who can pop balloons by sitting on them, or keep them in the air the longest.
• Try the old familiar playground games. When was the last time you crab-walked? Have you ever taped off a hopscotch court in your kitchen? Teach your kids the games you played as a child, modified to fit the great indoors.
• Have a hallway race. Especially if you have little ones, it’s fun to let them race down the hall. For an especially fun touch, make a “finish line” out of streamers at the end of the hallway.
• Host a family dance party. What could be more fun that dancing in your living room with your kids? Not only is it great exercise, but you’ll get to show off your cool (or silly!) dance moves, and maybe learn some new ones from them.
• Create an obstacle course. Use an inexpensive indoor tunnel, some couch cushions, a couple of hula hoops, and anything else you can dream up, you can make a fun obstacle course in any room that allows for movement.
Raising healthy kids means modeling a healthy lifestyle, striving to keep your whole body strong and well while you teach them to take charge of their health, too. At Chiropractic Athletic Center, we embrace a holistic approach to healthcare, working to help keep our patients on the path to optimal wellness. For your free consultation, call us today!